European Union is (once more) at the crossroads, as it always was after the European elections, but this time the difficulties to find a common denominator between different parties, different states and different citizens’ expectations are higher. Elections at the European and at the national level, Brexit, the rise of populist parties and governments that challenge the main foundation of the European political project and the growing need of citizens to be listened by their representatives are issues that proved difficult to be tackled in the same time, in a rational way. There are many issues to be discussed from the academic perspective, involving a young generation of students that already has a positive experience of Europe but want to know more about what is to have a European identity.
The summer school European Union at the crossroads. New perspectives, current threats will bring together students and professors from many European countries willing to share their experience and to find solutions to the questions that are raised all across Europe.
The summer school will take place in Sinaia – a mountain resort close to Bucharest – in the period 8 – 13 July, on a location that belongs to the University of Bucharest. The CEEPUS fellowship will cover the costs of accommodation, food and roundtrip travel Bucharest – Sinaia.
Each day two topics will be discussed, the first in the morning, the second in the afternoon. The topics are the following:
- The forgotten vision of Europe: The Founding Fathers
- Different facets of Euroscepticism – Past and Present
- Populist leaders, parties and movements in the European context
- Liberalism and conservatism: is the ideology still relevant in Europe?
- The European Social Model: policies and outcomes
- Protection of human rights, rule of law and democracy – current threats and developments in the European Union
- At the boundary of the polity. Refugees, national minorities, third-country nationals in Europe
- European elections – the outcome and the consequences.
- Accession of Western Balkans countries to the European Union – an updated perspective
- CFSP, PESCO and the security challenges of the international environment.
If you are interested in the participation in the summer school, please turn to the local coordinators of the network “Ethics and Politics in the European Context” till 15. April 2019. The list of the local coordinators is available on our home page: www.ethicsandpolitics.eu